Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A witness to kindness...and a whole lotta luck.

What you are about to read is absolutely true. The Mister and I decided to make this anniversary a week-long celebration beginning last night with an outing to see the Black Crowes at the 9:30 Club. Tomorrow we leave for New Orleans and if the events of the past evening are an indication of how things are going to roll, then I am ready to go.
Last night may have been the luckiest of my life. Those who read this blog have probably never thought of me as being "lucky", and for most of my life, that has been true. I made up for a life full of lucklessness in one fell swoop.
All day he wasn't sure if it was going to happen, but The Mister left work on time in order to make it to the Black Crowes show. We snagged a cab and the poor driver had only been in the city a week. Helping him get to the 9:30 Club was not a problem, but then he tried to figure out how many zones and proceeded to ask for too little fare. The Mister could have paid the cabbie what was asked, but being the sweetheart he is, gave him the proper amount and tip.
We strolled right in, walked up to the bar and got ourselves a round of drinks. After scoping out the few people there, we decided to fight the pending squish and take a spot up front. Because we were relatively early, we just stood behind the single row of people that had formed in front of the stage. As people began filling in behind us, I began talking to the ladies around me. The Mister went for another round of drinks and I felt something tickle my sandal-clad foot. Looking down, it first seemed to be a peeled off beer label; further inspection revealed it was a crisp, new twenty dollar bill.
I blinked hard and asked myself what beer had a label that looked like money. Picking it up, I asked my new friends if they had dropped it.
"No. Put that in your pocket. Stop asking and put it in your pocket!" Explaining that I couldn't do that, I asked everybody around me; each said, "It's yours, put it in your pocket." Uncomfortably, I put it in my pocket saying, "If anybody hears somebody..."
Then out come the Black Crowes. I've kept up with the unfortunate drama plaguing the band as they set out on tour a week ago and hoped for the best. With a relatively new keyboardist and a last-minute-new guy on guitar
the Crowes delivered with all the grungy goodness I have come to love over the past sixteen years. The band had snagged Paul Stacey on guitar and although he hasn't played with them in years, he nailed it. Aside from the stellar set list, my heart was warmed by the way the band really worked together. Rich Robinson is an amazing band leader and it was so nice to see him call the changes to Stacey and smile at the magic that ensued.
Halfway through 'Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye', I felt something on my foot again. This time it was solid. Another hard blink, because no-fucking-way that is NOT what I think it is. But, yes! It was a small stash box. This I picked up and you can't find a stash box without trying to locate the owner. I enjoyed the rest of the song and began tapping shoulders, "Uh, does this belong to you?" My new-found girl friends firmly told me to put it in my pocket. After asking all of the people around me, I reached behind The Mister and slid it into his back pocket. Coincidence this is my favorite Black Crowes song? Coincidence that the recording begins with "B and B with a little weed"?
Coincidence? I think not.
After a few beverages, I made a trip to the ladies room. It was empty save for one poor girl who heard me come in and shouted, "Is somebody out there? Did somebody come in? Could you please give me some toilet paper?" Always willing to help a sister in need, I passed a roll under the stall door. As we were washing our hands, she stumbled all over herself with thanks. Then this lovely lady looked at me and said, "I hope this doesn't offend you, but maybe you'd like to smoke a little? It's the least I can do."
Does this happen to real people? I felt like the planets had aligned and my ship had come in. Luck be a lady tonight and I, dear readers, was that lady!

**I'd like to apologize for my substandard writing this morning. My luck apparently ran out at midnight and instead of turning into a pumpkin, I woke up with a hangover.

No comments: