Monday, June 12, 2006

Cruel Intentions

The wedding this weekend was wonderful. I may write about it later, but for now I have more pressing issues.
I have this friend and --good lord, I don't even know how to start this.
First, let's give her a name... Grumpy? Brash? Hard-to-Take? OCD? Bitch? Okay, okay, perhaps my current feelings are getting in the way of a good name.
She'll be: Boldy.
Boldy and I have been friends almost 10 years. When we first met, I though she was brash and a bit hard to take; then I got to know her and found she was a great girl once you got past the hard candy shell.
She and I moved to this area around the same time; me for work, her for law school. After I met The Mister and his best friend, Jersey, it became evident that Boldy and Jersey would make good friends, if not more. Jersey and Boldy hit it off, got jobs in California, lived there for a couple of years and have now moved back. They have been dating for about 4 years and are engaged.
Since they moved back, I have no idea who Boldy has become. She has always been blunt and bold, but now is condescending and cruel.
It began with little things; things I can't remember but at the time struck me as 'off'.
Then, it came to a point a few weeks ago when I called her cell phone. I knew that The Mister and Jersey had plans after work, so I called Boldy to see if she'd like to get together. It was five minutes after 5:00pm. I called her cell, thinking she wouldn't answer if she was busy.
Here is how I recall the conversation:

ring ring
Boldy: Yeah.
Super: Hello!
Boldy: ...
Super: Oh, it's me, Super. [very uncomfortable]
Boldy: Yeah. I know. [very brisk and condescending]
Super: Uh, okay. I'm sorry to bother you, I can call later.
Boldy: Well, what do you want?
Super: I was going to ask if you wanted to hang out this evening, but I'm sorry to bother you.
Boldy: I'm at work and I'll probably be working late.
Super: Okay. Have a nice day.
click! - she hung up, and I cried

Frankly, if you are in that bad of a position, DON'T ANSWER THE FUCKING PHONE. Her tone, her briskness, her condescension was just cruel. The way she spoke to me made it clear she was trying to make me feel inferior. I am already sensitive to not having a paying job; I can make myself feel bad enough without anybody else trying to help.
However, at the end of the day, I can rest my head knowing I am a good person.
This is just one example of why I no longer want to have her in my life. Nobody who goes out of their way to make others feel badly is worth my time. The Mister has talked with me about it and even told me Jersey has voiced concerns about Boldy's way of talking down to people. Boldy has not always been this way.
At first, The Mister wanted me to talk to Boldy because he thought she could not possibly know what she was doing. There are two reasons I don't want to talk to her. First, I do not want (nor do I think I should) to put myself in a position where Boldy could treat me the way she has been. I just don't think it's worth it. Second, I'm afraid to. I have never claimed to be brave and now is not the time for me to start.
After this weekend, The Mister has backed down and asked me to write a letter - whether or not I plan on giving it to her.
Boldy and Jersey were at the wedding and on our way home, The Mister mentioned he had noticed the way Boldy spoke down to people (not just me).
These feelings of resentment have me in a bind. The Mister is great friends with Jersey and although I do not think Jersey would put up with being talked down to, I hope Boldy does not treat him this way. Jersey is a great guy.
It makes me sad to feel I have lost a friend. Yes, it is my choice, but she is not the friend I once knew. Of course, I will still be nice and kind, but I will avoid any situation that would put us together alone.
There are not many people I consider true friends. This situation makes me realize how much I miss and love Wino, Capitall, Drinky and Red. It also makes me appreciate the friends I have here, such as Hunglish, J and Ooter. Although we may not be close, I do think they are truly good people. I am thankful for them.

Has this happened to anybody else? Any thoughts?

No comments: