Thursday, June 15, 2006

Dirty girl.

Yesterday was a disaster. My shower faucet has been leaking a small, steady stream for a few weeks now and the landlady finally called the plumber. She told me to be ready for him at 9:00am and she, along with the plumber, did not arrive until 12:45. They did not leave until 5:00pm. And it seems they've left another disaster in their wake.
If you can't tell, I do not like my landlady in the least. Landlady is slow to make repairs, always asking me to do favors ("Could you put up signs saying the water will be turned off tomorrow? Could you and The Mister shovel the walk? Could you wait two more weeks for your leaking ceiling to be fixed?"), and knows we are at her mercy for paying very little rent. She is not just the landlady, she owns the building. Don't even get me started about the birds living in my kitchen vent... yes, they are still there and as she told me yesterday, "Well, they are not the bird-flu kind of birds, so you are fine."
So they were late to fix my shower. The plumber was very nice and kind even as Landlady got bitchy when he told her he could not complete the job. (Let's be clear here; if anybody should have gotten bitchy about that, it should have been me. But I was nice.) It seems the hardware for my bathtub is as old as the building, built in 1937. This hardware is no longer made and actually broke off while the plumber was trying to fix it.
The knobs to turn on the water are now just sticking out of gaping holes in the wall with no collars to keep water from getting into the wall and running down into my neighbor’s ceiling. I have to wait until the plumber can find the appropriate replacement parts. But, hey, the spigot no longer leaks!
While waiting, I taped some plastic around the holes. So it really is not a problem.
My real problem is I can not turn on the cold water knob.
I took off my clothes like I normally do when I take a shower (although, I should mention I went through a strange thing a few weeks ago when I kept forgetting to take off my socks and got in the shower this way. Naked save for socks. Three days in a row.). I pulled the shower curtain back, grabbed the hot-water knob while turning, felt the water coming out of the faucet, grabbed the cold-water knob while turning, and my wet hand slipped right off the knob hitting me in the forehead. SMACK!
I dried my hand and forehead and tried again with the cold water. It wouldn't budge.
I stood in the tub, used both hands to twist with all my might. No freakin' way.
The Mister called me around 9am this morning to ask me how my morning shower went. "If I could take a shower, I would let you know. But I cannot turn on the cold-water knob!"
"I wondered if you'd be able to because I had a dickens of a time turning it on."
I consider myself fairly strong for being a bit on the wee side. But damn that thing is just NOT going to budge. And I cannot take a shower.
Maybe I'll call Hunglish to come over and turn the thing on for me. Or maybe I'll just call it a wasted day, put on a baseball cap and waller in my own filth. Yummy. Blech!

No comments: