Thursday, June 29, 2006

A damp city rests... and I am awake.

The rain, sogging, sloshing, steaming, swamping, sucking the life right out of the city has finally seemed to stop.
Midnight in DC and I await my family. I haven't seem Moms or Sis since Christmas and they can't get here fast enough. Biding my time took the form of cleaning, a job I procrastinated until I knew they would be late.
You see, Moms and Sis wanted to take the train all the way from Bumpkin, WV to the big city and Amtrak is running about 8 hours behind schedule.
I'm exhausted from crazy, manual-laboring flood prevention, but I am grateful not to be stuck on a train for hours and hours.
Moms and Sis have got to be over the novelty by now!
They'll be fine...
The cleaning is squeaky; I managed to squander away my day and still get everything done. Clean sheets and comfy beds await their sleepy heads.
The Mister is snoring lightly on the couch beside me. He is so peaceful it doesn't seem right to rouse him into going to bed. Those water-filled buckets must have exhausted him, as well. Sometimes I take it for granted that he gets tired, too.
The Mister is stirring and I am going to lead him towards a more comfortable place to rest his weary head.
sweet dreams...

No comments: