Thursday, June 01, 2006

Super Sis To The Rescue!

I have a little sister who is turning 16 in August. Sis is 5'9", thirteen years younger than I and eight inches taller. No fair. It's strange to think about, she was in kindergarten when I was a senior in high school, nine when I graduated college, and thirteen when I got married.
Sis told me last week she can't really remember me living at home and that I feel more like an Aunt than a Sister. She didn't mean it badly, but the more I think about it, the more it makes me sad. Not too sad, though, because I'm one hell of a cool Aunt if that's how she's gonna think.
Sis is going through a little rough patch as her first boyfriend just broke her heart. Luckily, she's got her head on straight and knows this part of her life is somewhat just a bump in the road. Sis is aching inside and I just want to take the hurt for her.
It's true she needs to go through these things on her own; in the end it will make her a stronger woman, but it doesn't make me feel for her any less.
Blech! Fucking High School sucked.
Doo-doo-do-dooot!!! Super to the rescue!
The Mister and I are going to kidnap her (with mom's permission, of course) for the week of July Fourth. A fun-filled week with Super Big Sis is just what she needs. I wish I could go get her now, but school ends today and The Mister is in two weddings this fine month of June. She'll just have to hang in there for a month.
It's a little strange... never have I said that I want to visit my family in West-by-god; it has always been a should or need to situation, but recently, I've felt a certain want to. The only problem is The Mister can not go any time soon, and without him, I have homicidal tendancies towards my mother (Moms). Somehow his presence makes me behave and hold my temper.
The last family trip I went on was during my sixteenth year on this earth. After that god-awful beach trip, I stayed home alone. As an adult, I've always come up with excuses, too. That last family trip nearly killed me and I hated every minute of it. For awhile I was convinced I hated the beach, but have since realized, I simply hated my family at the beach.
Moms is neurotic. She goes on vacation and can not allow herself to relax. That wretched trip she spent washing towels and loading the dishwasher. According to her, nobody else could do it properly and therefore she revoked our "priviledges".
Aunt Jane says Moms just doesn't know how to have fun. I saw her let loose once about a year ago when she came to visit. We took her out to a Spanish restaurant and she did not realize Sangria had alcohol. It was the best time I've ever had with my mom. She didn't get drunk, just tipsy enough to relax. If only we could just pump the stuff into her vains...
This August, I'm looking forward to a trip to the beach with my older brother (Bub), his two kids (sadly, the wifey can't get off work) and the aforementioned Sis. Honestly, I think we are going to have a great time. The three of us have never done anything like this before.
Sis being so much younger made it impossible; Moms would not trust her baby with her first and middle borns. Sis will be turning 16 at the end of the trip. I really do think it's going to be a smashing time and something she could really use: A respite from the semi-reality of High School.
Oh, the woes of a fifteen-year-old.
Any readers out there with ideas for a cool sixteenth birthday gift?

AND CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHY I CAN'T POST PICTURES ANYMORE?
No pictures = No fun! booooo!

No comments: