Friday, June 09, 2006

S.N.A.F.U.

Yesterday's hair coloring went well in that although the color is decidedly NOT that described or shown in pictures, it still looks good. "#19 Golden Glam" does not say "strawberry blond" to me, and let me make that clear, far more strawberry than blond. Still, it looks nice with my complexion, so I have no real complaints.
The self hair coloration could have been my big snafu of the day, but oh, no; that was saved for the evening after The Mister and I arrived home.
Today begins the Wedding Madness! Actually, it has been downgraded from Wedding Madness to Wedding Liveliness or better yet, Wedding Excitement. The Mister (more like, The Mister Popular) was supposed to be in three weddings this lovely June. One of those weddings has been cancelled. Personally, it is my belief that you have until the "I do." to say, "I don't think so.” It would be far better to spoil one day for 300 of your closest friends than to ruin the rest of your life. I wish this particular couple the absolute best and appreciate their strength to call it off or put it on hold.
And we are down to two weddings this month, which is far more manageable.
Last night while putting my rehearsal dinner and wedding outfits together, I noticed a big stain on the front of my only-thing-I-own-appropriate-for-an-11am-wedding-dress.
"OH MY FREAKIN' NOOOOO!" This was a bad situation, as I really do not have a lot of clothes and most of my wardrobe is made up of jeans and tee-shirts, everything else is black. The wedding this weekend is at 11 o'clock in the morning, and this makes black seem a bit morbid. I own one dress suitable for such an occasion and come Thursday night, a stain appears.
At first The Mister Popular and I tried to rationalize a little, "Maybe you won't be able to see it in daylight... open the curtains, let's see it in sunlight." GAH! The stain showed up worse. "Does your little sweater cover it? Could you just wear it all day?" GAH! The sweater was two inches shy. "Do you have anything else you can wear?" GAH! The closet was ill prepared.
By this time it was 7:30pm and I was desperate, "What time does the mall close? Do you think we can find something? Can we do this?"
Jumping in the car, my mind was stressing. You see, I'm very hard to shop for. It's not because I'm picky (you can tell by the clothes I wear, I am definitely not picky); it's because I'm small and curvy and twenty-eight years old.
My size is why "Petite Sections" were created. However, my age dictates that pants with elastic waistbands are never okay. The clothes found in most Petite Sections have a certain flare only appreciated by the Blue-Hairs. Add that up with my frugal/cheap ways and you may have a bit of a problem. Stores with petite clothes that are young, classy and (hopefully at least a little bit) cool tend to be a little more expensive.
While in the car, I came up with a game plan. It was going to be tough as shoes are a serious commodity when your feet are size 5. I was going to have to find a dress that would go with shoes I already had. "Let's start at Hechts, move to Ann Taylor and see how that goes. I don't want to spend much money." In my heart I knew Hechts would not have anything that would both fit my body and my personality and that A.T.'s would have something that would fit and be classy, just not cool. There's a little bit of funky that resides firmly in my heart.
The Mister Popular was reading my mind, "Super, you need a nice dress for a wedding, you may need to expand your budget a little. It's okay and I know you are going to have to drop some bank."
I grumbled something like, "We'll see about that..."
Neither place had anything that even fit, let alone anything I didn't like.
"C'mon, Super, let's go to Nordstrom's, they have Petites."
Trudging along behind, I already felt defeated and was trying to think of alternate solutions.
As we neared Nordy's, I first saw the "SALE!" sign and got a little inspired. It's safe to say that after trying on four dresses in A.T., I had stopped looking at price tags.
We had only been in the mall a half-hour, that's how small the small-sections are.
Nordstroms Petite Section is great, but they are a really lacking in dresses. After perusing the entire section, I found ONE dress that seemed to fit the bill, but would it fit me? It was black and white print and flirty. I tried it on, walked out of the dressing room where The Mister's smile told me everything was going to be just fine. To beat it all, it was far less than for what I had prepared myself. Thank goodness for sales!! Quite frankly, I felt quite hott in this little number.
Have a wonderful weekend and I'll write about the Wedding Excitement when we get back!!

No comments: